Thursday, August 19, 2010

In case you've been wondering . . .

. . . why I haven't posted in more than a week, just have a look-see below.  Its because I've been at the beach in southern California for the past week, watching sunsets like this:


And building things like this:

Or, from another angle:

And enjoying the general scenery right outside our back door, including but not limited to:


...as well as doing a whole lot of writing, sunning, a variety of aquatic ocean-related activities, hours upon hours of Scum (the card game of course, although there was some questionable filmy stuff around some parts of the ocean . . . they told us it was "algae" but you never know . . .), and lots of lazing around in general.  With family and friends.

Be jealous.

3 comments:

  1. That is the coolest sandcastle. That... that is an awesome castle.

    -bn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh, that's what I was going to comment, too. The rocks around the mountain is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Yeah, it was one of my more distinguished accomplishments over the week. I can't take too much credit, though--my sister-in-law's boyfriend (boyfriend-in-law?) helped a lot, and by helped I mean did more than half of it. But I still feel pretty good about my less-than-half contribution--it turned out a lot better, and a lot bigger, than we anticipated. Of course, it also took the better part of three hours.

    And one more boast: the only tools we (occasionally) used were a plastic bucket and a little surfboard tool that I couldn't identify if I wanted to. Everything else was just hands, sand, and water.

    Also, on a writing note: we essentially created the thing as we went, with no previous design or ideas in mind (hence the sprawled-out discombobulated look of the thing). And that made it really interesting. We sort of made up explanations for each entrance and courtyard and the inlets and lakes and keeps and so forth as we went along. So, essentially, there's already a story behind the castle, and it even makes a bit of sense. I think I'll draw it out into one of my stories in the future . . .

    ReplyDelete