Thursday, June 10, 2010

People Have Book Habits?

Pilfered this from Speculative Horizons who I think, in turn, borrowed it from someone else, and so on.  I won't lie and say that I don't normally do this type of thing because I actually enjoy these things immensely.  Also, I figured it would help you as readers get to know me and my "book habits" (really?) a bit better?  Maybe...?

So without further adieu, I present to you the Book Habits Meme!



Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:
 Rarely.  Snacking just gets so messy, especially for me (I'm eating-impaired [or maybe just cleanliness-impaired]).  Also, I'm trying to cut back on the snacks.  But if I absolutely HAD to I would choose some hard-shelled-candy type, e.g. peanut butter or crispy M&Ms or some delicious flavor of skittles.  Although really any smallish candy with chocolate would suffice as well--Whoppers, anyone?  And those new Twizzlers, the sweet and sour with the filling?  Delectable indeed.  Okay I'm overdoing this I know, so I'll just add one more things:  eating food items such as Flaming Hot Cheetos (or any kind of Cheetos), Doritos, flavored Pringles, and anything that leaves a musky powder-goo on your fingers while reading is offensive.



What is your favorite drink while reading?
Umm.  Water?


Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I'm a mark-er.  I'm all about the marking.  Underlining, making notes, its all good with me.  I do it much more frequently in books that I read for academic purposes, but I mark up any other books I may be reading often enough as well.  I find nothing wrong with it.  And, honestly, it makes me feel like I've actually used the book, like I'm proving to myself that I've actually read the thing and I didn't just imagine it.  So, yes, I enjoy a good mark or two in my books.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
I dog-ear my mass market paperbacks, and some times the trades as well.  I know some people think thats a crime but, well, I don't give a camel's pooper what some people think.  I treat my books well, but a little dog-ear gives them some attitude.  Also, I lose bookmarks like its my job, although I always use them (or something akin to a bookmark) in hardback books.  And, I admit, I'll leave any book flat open if I think I'm coming back to it in the next few minutes.  Thats just how I roll.

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?
Fiction 99% of the time.  I will be taking a nonfiction creative writing class this Fall, however, and I'm reading a number of books to become more familiar with that whole genre (as of now I know more about the procreational habits of those fish that live so deep underwater they have little lamps hanging in front of them like a horse-baiting carrot contraption).  I do otherwise enjoy a good nonfiction book every once in a while--looking at the tiny nonfiction section of my bookshelf I'm now realizing that most of them are either WWII-era autobiographies or have something to do with politics.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?


I can stop anywhere, but of course I prefer to read to the end of a chapter.  Even more than that, I prefer to read to the end of a book.  But who has that kind of time?

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

 Never done that.  Perhaps I will one day, but so far a book has not upset me nearly enough--although I am a rather mellow person.


If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?


I like to do that, and with senior iPhone its much more convenient now.  But its never a necessary thing for me to do.

What are you currently reading?
Dreamsongs vol. 1 (George R.R. Martin), I Am Not A Serial Killer (Dan Wells), The Next American Essay (ed. John D'Agata), The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe


What is the last book you bought?
A whole bunch from Amazon, most for my nonfiction class:  The Art of the Personal Essay, Reality Hunger:  A Manifesto, Leaping:  Revelations and Epiphanies, I Just Lately Started Buying Wings, and Dreamsongs vol. 1 and 2


Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?


Obviously I can handle more than one.  In fact I usually prefer it that way:  I usually like to be reading at least one novel and one short story collection at a time.  Obviously nonfiction has been in the mix lately as well.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
Anytime, anywhere.  But big armchairs are nice, as is the lovesack in my living room.  As far as times go:  any time in which I will not imminently fall asleep.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?


I enjoy both, and prefer neither.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?


The Things They Carried, because that may very well be the best fiction I've ever read; Good Omens, because it was entertaining and witty and hilarious, and George R.R. Martin.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)


 A) by major divisions (Fiction-Nonfiction) and B) Author's last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment