Wednesday, May 13, 2015

CONduit Schedule!

Hey alls!

So I'll be attending CONduit in Salt Lake City next week, and I'm going to be on a few of the panels. This is particularly cool because I've never really participated in panels before...so, while I'm a bit nervous, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Sat 23 May (Snow): The Heroine's Journey
I'm particularly excited about this one--it's a panel I proposed, based largely on what I've been studying about the Hero's Journey and the Virgin's Promise recently. While Campbell's monomyth (another name for the Hero's Journey) has certainly revolutionized how we view and analyze story, it's been good for me to broaden that view a bit and include more perspectives in that analysis. This panel (I think, I don't know who's moderating it so you never know) will address whether the Hero's Journey is outdated or not, what value we can find in tweaking it (if any), and what alternatives exist.

Sat 23 May (Arches): The Lovecraft Panel
As far as I know this will be a pretty typical Lovecraftian panel, talking about elder gods, Cthulhu, and Necronomicons galore! I've been a Lovecraft fan for a number of years, now, so I'm excited to chat about his work.

Sun 24 May (Arches): A Touch of the Macabre
I'm not entirely sure what this panel will be about, but I think it has something to do with horror, dark fantasy, and the line between the two (if one exists at all). This will be a fun one, I think, as my stuff is usually in the dark fantasy realm, but I've also dabbled in horror. And, based on a few things I've seen and studied lately, I'm more invested in good horror than ever before. I'm excited to share some of the insights I've had.

So, there you have it, folks! I'm definitely looking forward to participating in my first panels; I'm looking forward to talking about all three topics. If you're going to CONduit, you should definitely consider coming to one of these, because I'm pretty sure they'll be awesome. But even if you don't, you should find me anyway :-D!

No comments:

Post a Comment