Wednesday, February 07, 2018

#AuthorLifeMonth Day 5ish: Your WIP

So obviously I'm not being super orthodox about the whole Author Life Month thing this time around, and I'm okay with that. I've missed a few days, and I posted my list of 2017 films the other day and that was fun. But I would like to keep plugging along with the thing, so let's talk about my current WIP!

Book 3 of the Chaos Queen Quintet, Blood Requiem, is currently with my editor. I should receive editorial notes from her any day now, and when I do I'll hit that last revision hard and get it ready to go into ARC production. So that should happen soon.

But for now (and for the past couple months), I've been making some nice progress on Book 4 of the CQQ, tentatively titled Fear the Stars.

I have to say, this book is coming together very nicely.

It's an interesting, and actually pretty unique, feeling. You see, I've felt very confident about all three of the books I've produced so far. I think they are very different books from one another in a lot of ways, and each have different strengths. But Book 4 feels very good so far. I think I might have something special, ya'll. Only time will tell I suppose, and I'm sure there will be at least some people who will not enjoy Book 4 as much, but at least for now I am very excited about it. Some really cool things--things I've been writing towards since I first conceived of the CQQ world and characters--are finally happening on the page. I'm writing scenes that have driven the narrative for almost a decade, and that is really cool.

So! That's what I'm working on right now. While it's difficult to tell, I'd estimate that I'm about 30% through the first draft (while Book 3 is shaping up to be slightly shorter than the first two, I think Book 4 might end up being slightly longer), and my goal is to have it finished by the end of March. Fingers crossed.

A little snapshot of my process as I write Book 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment